Tuesday 11 December 2012

advent tree

Last year's advent calendar had been around the block a few times. I vowed there would be a new one this year. I hit up Pinterest. Which is dangerous. There are so many ace advent calendars you can copy take inspiration from. I took my inspiration from here. The budget is tight and I wanted to try and make a new calendar using only materials I already had at home, bar the treats inside. I am not a lolly shop.

















My decade old twiggy sticks got a lick of paint, which was very therapeutic when you have carols playing through your headphones - and quick! I used one of those wide sponge paintbrushes (basically a sponge stuck on the end of a paintbrush handle), it was a breeze. I left a few inches unpainted at the bottom, both for ease of painting and also because I thought it looked pretty cool seeing the contrast of natural wood against the minty blue. Small treats were purchased (fruit bars, stickers, mini jelly beans, mini candy canes, chocolate coins, chocolate santas) and divided into regular brown paper sandwich bags, rolled into nice weeny parcels, tied up with pretty tape and string, and given a calendar date sticker. Parcels were hung all over the twiggy tree, at approximately 11.58pm on 30 November. Yep. I always have good intentions of being really organised, like making a new calendar in JULY. Good intentions are better than none at all.

As for the daily activities, this year I had a brainwave to put a bulk list on the fridge, instead of a separate activity in each parcel. Last year I felt disappointed when we couldn't manage the activity I had assigned.. some days called for the easiest of activities and we'd been handed the hardest. Not that the kids cared, that was all me. This year we can choose what we feel like doing for the day. And so far we have been nice and loose with our activities - if the kids have been happy without one, they usually want to make it up the next day and we end up doing two. Much better system I say!

Since the first of December, Ruby has been waking earlier.. she rushes in and asks permission to have their 'advent tree pocket'. She and Cole are taking turns, Eliot is only interested in the treat, not the unwrapping to GET the treat. Everyone is happy.

Do you have a more traditional advent calendar? Or did you make your own this year? Either way, I'd love a squiz, leave a link below for all to see.

15 comments:

  1. Tahnee, this is brilliant, I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!! I think my two smalls would really get into this next year, baby girl being almost 2, it should be easier for me to organise, and the kids to enjoy. So doing this next year for sure :) My Mum made Lachlan an advent calendar for last Xmas, it was so lovely and very similar to the one Beth has over at BabyMac, but of course that is all the way over in Australia and no doubt my poor Mum hasn't even brought it out this year with none of the grandkids around :( Am hoping next year will seem more like Xmas, home in Aust xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your twiggy Advent tree. Wonderful idea. We have never done an advent calendar but since blogging I have seen so many amazing ideas I will be doing it for sure next year. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is amazing. gorgeous. i can only imagine your kids think it is pretty spectacular. i love your blue lit tree in the background. beautiful photos. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they were pretty rapt when they woke to find it :) and I have no idea why the tree lights keeping photographing as blue! they are definitely white, even though the blue bokeh is pretty x

      Delete
  4. my mum & sister made one for my 3 this year, each morning (after breakfast) we check the advent calendar tree for a clue as to where the elves have left a surprise. the kids each find a wrapped parcel with their name on it/or a shared parcel. so far we have had a DVD, new book, socks, underwear, chocolate coins, magic facewashers, bubbles, games, sticker books. i love it, especially for little ones (mine are 4, 2 and 8wks) - it is like a father christmas stocking spread out over a month. christmas day won't be so overwhelming (with gifts) and we can enjoy their bigger gifts (mini surfboard and fishing rod this year) and go to the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! Very creative and different. The daily activity idea is a great one, never thought of doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the Advent Tree really helps kids with the countdown process :) AT preschool we made a massive twig Christ,as tree which the kids decorated with handmade ornaments. May have to do one at home next year. Love your little Advent tree.

    Sophie xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is so beautiful, as are your pictures.. I am looking forward to having kids on Christmas, making things like this for them. So lovely. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh this is magic! Such a beautiful shade too. Gorgeous piccies...thanks for sharing. Hope you're havinf a super day :) x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done looks great! May be my inspiration for next year! Sam xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so dam talented girl, you inspire me. I love that tree. I have a similar tree in my house that hangs our christmas cards on it, you have inspired me to give it a lick of paint next year! Our advent calendar is a box that I made for last year with a small treat inside that Jackson, like Ruby and Cole, can't wait to rip open each morning. Like you, we also have a list on the wall of advent activities that we are working on.

    ReplyDelete
  11. PS, yesterday's activity was to make your peppermint bark recipe! Yummo, thanks for that xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my, this is utterly impressive. I have never done an advent calendar much less an amazing advent tree complete with little tied gifts like this!
    Ronnie xo

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, thankyou so much for taking the time to leave a comment x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...