Saturday 5 May 2012

biccie jar

You know I like a full biccie jar, and lately my go-to biccie of choice has been the old faithful, choc chip. Or double choc chip if you follow the recipe properly. But generally, I make the recipe work with the volume of chocolate I have in the pantry, anywhere between 170-250g will work for these, whether it's two varieties or just one.


A few lovely ladies have requested this recipe and I was going to email it. But thought, why not share the love? And the calories?

This recipe was given to me by my beautiful friend and mama, Rachel. The first time I tried them, we shared them for morning tea at the first Stitches & Craft Show we went to together, a few years ago. Our annual visit together became a lovely tradition. She has since moved to Canberra and I really miss our morning/afternoon tea catch ups while our little ones played around us. I have tweaked it a little but I still call them Rachel's.

Rachel's Choc Chip Cookies
makes 24 biscuits (if you don't eat any mixture ~ so more like 20)

135g unsalted butter, at room temp
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg, lightly beaten
3/4 cup plain flour, sifted
3/4 cup self raising flour, sifted
1/2 tsp baking powder, sifted
200g dark chocolate, chopped
50g white chocolate, chopped
*it goes without saying that the better quality your chocolate, the better your biccies will be. If you use Nestle Melts, we can no longer be friends.
*use whatever flavour takes your fancy - white/milk/dark, it doesn't matter

Preheat oven to 180C. Line two baking trays with baking paper {seriously, the best invention, EVER}. Cream butter, sugar and vanilla extract with electric beaters or fancy pants KitchenAid, till light and fluffy (roughly 6-8 mins). Remember this won't be as light as if you were using caster sugar. Add egg and mix well. Sift flours and baking powder over butter/egg mixture, fold with spatula till just combined. Add chopped chocolate and, again, fold gently till just combined. The mixture will be quite wet.

Spoon dessert spoonfuls onto baking trays, allowing room to spread. Just scoop from mixing bowl and slide off spoon using your finger. No rolling or anything. These give you a really decent sized biscuit. If you aren't a piggy like me, then use a heaped teaspoon or don't fill your dessert spoon entirely. Bake for 12 minutes (or thereabouts, depending on the strength of your oven). Turn halfway if your oven likes to be hotter in some spots than others, like mine. They should be golden and still soft in the middle. The usual cool-for-5-minutes before transferring to cooling rack, or just leave on the baking trays if you're feeling particularly lazy.

When I put these (or any) biccies in the jar, I put small squares of baking paper in between each layer to keep them fresh.* You know how some biscuits like to go all soft and horrible when mounted on top of one another? Yep. Hate that.

Put the kettle on and enjoy.


If you want to share any of your good biscuit recipes, please leave me a link in the comments, I am always wanting to try new ones!

*I will not be held responsible for how quickly your biccie jar empties


10 comments:

  1. Yum - they look delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummmm ... thank you for sharing Tahnee! I have been eyeing off your biscuits for a while now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to make these now! But not a scrap of chocolate in the house. Now thats sad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha, the nestle choc melts bit made me laugh. i hate the things, but anna loves using them. i always chop up good quality choc when i'm making anything with choc in them, but she insists i buy the choc chips. ah well, she'll learn one day. these look delish. anna uses a recipe that has condensed milk in the mix as well...sickly sweet but yum all the same ;)
    these will be added to the list of biccie jar recipes xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooo I love a fully cookie jar also, these look divine, I'm a big choc chip cookie fan.
    These here are a lovely little biscuit, simple and super tasty:

    http://anglix.blogspot.com.au/2012/03/almond-crisps.html

    Enjoy! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks julie! I will have to try these, they must have a lovely texture with the almond meal x

      Delete
  6. that would be *full* cookie jar, sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI Lovely. What a nice surprise to visit your blog today and see that yummy recipe of the biscuits we shared way back when our big babes were our little babes. I have been meaning on sending this link on to you, but for some reason I just wasn't sure I wanted to open up my blog, what if no one likes what I post??!!! what if it is no good?!??

    Any way now just seems like the right time to send you the link so you can check in on us from time to time, just like we pop by your window for a little view of what is happening in your family life. Fox so loves to see what Big Ruby, Cole and Eliot are up to, almost as much as I do. http://sleepyummy.wordpress.com/

    Smooches x R

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is so not far that I see these delicious cookies on a night when we have NO chocolate or sweet treats anywhere in our house. I do however know what I will be baking tomo - yummmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for this beautiful!!
    xxx Stacey

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, thankyou so much for taking the time to leave a comment x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...